Thursday, August 29, 2013

My final thoughts


This class has helped me to learn a very important thing in integral health; it is that a health and wellness professional must first develop psychologically, spiritually and physically. The reason being is they must first experience this before they help guide anyone else on the path of integral health. I personally have to work in a few areas to achieve my goals in health and wellness. I need to work on the psychological and spiritual aspects. I feel that the physical aspect is actually my strongest at this point.

This semester has been amazing with helping me to assess myself in these aspects of health and wellness. I have been able to learn a lot about myself, now if I can just incorporate what I have learned into my everyday routine. I was able to assess myself with the different practices we have done in this class along with exercises and journals from another course.

I would say as far as a physical goal I just want to continue to strengthen my body and work towards a healthier me. My Psychological goal would be to learn how to better manage stress. I must admit I am lacking a spiritual connection so my goal is to work towards obtaining that connection. To foster my growth physically I will continue to exercise and do yoga. If I do this on a regular basis I will continue to work towards a better physical health. For my psychological growth I feel that is important to get my focus for meditation and also some visualization exercises. I plan on doing a few short sessions throughout the week to help me learn to my focus a little longer. To foster my growth spiritually I plan on going back to church. When I went to church on a regular basis I felt I had that spiritual connection I am now lacking. I also feel that meditation can help me get back on track spiritually.

In six months I plan on doing the loving kindness exercise as well as one of the other exercises from this class. I feel that this will help me assess my progress since I wasn’t very successful with the exercises the first time doing them. I will have a great sense of accomplishment if I can stay focused longer the second time around. I keep reminding myself that my goals will take time, focus, and commitment. I will need to practice my planned exercises in order to improve.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary, I am a lot like you in that physical activity is something I have no trouble keeping up with. However, spirituality is another thing. Maybe because it is not concrete, or maybe because as westerners, we are so used to looking outside of ourselves for better health. I must say this. As I write, I am going through a break up, and feel very emotional, and upset at time. Reading your blog, and other classmates has helped me to witness my thoughts rather than succumb to them. So, maybe things do happen for a reason. Good luck to you in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary, After reading your assessment, I find that we are similar in many areas. I, too, find it easier to keep physically active than to stay focused spiritually. Perhaps we are so accustomed to the western ways of life that it is most challenging to look inward rather than outward. I can say, however, as we speak, I am going through a break up. Recently, my emotions and thoughts have been flowing in an out of my mind like a water fall. With this class, I feel as though I am to witness these thoughts, and I know eventually I will be fine, if not even stronger. I wish you the best in your future.

    ReplyDelete